I realize that as this election cycle moves closer to the big day, I have been more than just a little vocal about my candidate preference. I know that we all have "hot button" issues that drive our political decisions. I have opinions about a lot of things, but feel passionately about just a few. I have copied a statement from the AAP website that lays out how each candidate's health care plans relate to children's health. This is my issue. This is also my blog. So, on occasion I reserve the right to step onto my soap box. If you have different issues that matter to you, that's great.
ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE: AAP Principles on Access
Basic Questions on Access to Care
Under the Candidates' Health Care Proposal:
Does every child receive quality health insurance?
Does the plan ensure adequate payment rates so that children can access care?
Does the plan include a comprehensive age appropriate benefits package?
Does the plan give families a choice of pediatric clinicians?
Is the benefit portable and would coverage be continuous?
1. Every Child
2. Payment levels
3. Comprehensive Benefits
4. Pediatrician Choice
5. Portability/ Continuity
John McCain
1.No
2.No
3.No
4.Yes
5.Yes
Barack Obama
1.Yes
2.Yes*
3.Yes
4.Yes
5.Yes
* The plan would expand funding to improve the primary care provider and public health practitioner workforce, including loan repayments, improved reimbursement and training grants.
An in-depth look at the candidates' plans versus the AAP Access Principles
How do the presidential candidates' health care reform plans stack up to the AAP's Principles on Access? Read the comparison of the plans.
1. Every child must have quality health insurance.
Obama—While not a Constitutional guarantee, Senator Obama's health care plan would mandate insurance coverage for children.
McCain—Health care coverage—for children or adults—is not guaranteed under Senator McCain's health care plan.
2. Health insurance should be a right, regardless of income, for all children, pregnant women, their families, and ultimately all individuals.
Obama—Health insurance is guaranteed as a right for all children within Senator Obama's health care plan.
McCain—Health insurance is not guaranteed as a right within Senator McCain's health care plan.
3. All health insurance plans should have a comprehensive age appropriate benefits package such as that of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Obama—It is unclear under Senator Obama's current plan whether age appropriate benefits would be guaranteed. However, he proposes a Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan-style benefit program, as well as expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), which do not necessarily provide age appropriate benefit packages for children.
McCain—Senator McCain's health care plan does not guarantee an age appropriate benefits package.
4. All children should have access to primary care pediatricians, pediatric medical subspecialists, pediatric surgical specialists, pediatric mental and dental professionals, and hospitals with appropriate pediatric expertise.
Obama—Senator Obama's health care plan guarantees this access.
McCain—Senator McCain's health care plan does not guarantee this access.
5. All health plans should have payment rates that assure that children receive all recommended and needed services.
Obama—Senator Obama's health plan does not guarantee payment rates that assure access to care, but he states that primary care providers would see "improved reimbursement" under his health care plan.
McCain—Senator McCain's health care plan does not guarantee payments rates that assure access to care.
6. Health insurance should be fully portable and provide continuous coverage.
Obama—Senator Obama's health plan guarantees portable and continuous coverage by giving all American's access to a "National Health Exchange" that they could enroll in at any time, regardless of illness or job status.
McCain—Senator McCain's health care plan provides some guarantee for portability and continuity, allowing individuals to carry insurance from job to job and to purchase it across state lines.
7. Administrative aspects should be streamlined and simplified.
Obama—There is some guarantee that administrative aspects would be streamlined and simplified.
McCain—There is some guarantee that administrative aspects would be streamlined and simplified.
8. Families should have a choice of clinician(s).
Obama—Senator Obama's health care plan does give families a choice of clinician(s).
McCain—Senator McCain's health care plan does give families a choice of clinician(s).
9. Health plans should complement and coordinate with existing maternal and child health programs to ensure maximum health benefits to families.
Obama—Senator Obama's health care plan does complement and coordinate with existing maternal and child health programs to ensure maximum health benefits to families.
McCain—There is no guarantee that Senator McCain's health care plan will complement and coordinate with existing maternal and child health programs.
8 comments:
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. And you are right - it's your blog and you can get on your soap box anytime you want!
We all have our personal reasons for choosing a candidate. I will not vote for McCain because he did not sign a congressional letter to the Department of State urging them to negotiate a new adoption agreement with Vietnam. It was signed by almost 60 senators, including Obama and Clinton who were busy on the campaign trail after McCain had already sealed his nomination. That's my issue!
I made a comment and then a Google error sucked it up and it's gone now... sigh...
To synopsize:
1. Joke about Jesus healing everyone
2. Until then, health care for kids = good
Thank you so much for sharing your research on the candidates on this issue! I am embarassed to admit that if it isn't on Yahoo news or MSNBC.com, I probably don't know about it, so I appreciate all the "Cliffs Notes" I can get!
I can count on you to enlighten me on issues I am in the dark on!
Here is my soapbox. Jon said: "Emily, would you really change your vote just because he chose a female VP?" or maybe it was something like: "Emily, you are voting for a president and not a VP."
My response is as follows: I am disillusioned with politics enough that I don't think that any one man can change anything. I like Obama and think he would do a great job. Do I think he can follow through on all of his promises? Probably not. Not to any fault of his. I just think we are crazy to think that any ONE man can bring such monumental change through the presidency. In fact, perhaps that is part of our problem...all of this hope in ONE man.
What IS important to me and a passion of mine is equality between the sexes, which is one reason I would have voted for Senator Clinton. I don't care if it were the democrats or the republicans...if there is the possibility of a female on the ticket I am probably going to vote for that ticket.
I know that sounds crazy in some ways. For one thing, what if she was just a horrible person and would be a horrible president (what some people thought of Clinton when I gave my opinions about voting for her)?
I am passionate about getting women in there. If we can break down the wall (or glass ceiling) I am all for it.
I may come around and see her differently in a few days, but that is where I am right now.
Like you said...it's all about what issues are important to you.
I am the typical swing voter. I was all set to vote for Obama during the DNC.
I am with you on the health care issue, but with Emily regarding the importance of a woman VP. Can I vote twice?
I agree with Emily and mom on the importance of a woman VP. I've thought about it today and realize that I live in a largely egalitarian male and female world. However, I deal with health care disparities every day. Sometimes I feel as if I am drowning in a sea of children with not enough resources, too many things stacked against them, too many chances that they won't succeed.
I think that if I were a woman in ministry or another setting where there are still so many blatant gaps between the way women and men are treated, I might be more swayed by Gov. Palin's female status.
I guess that's what makes this election so fascinating. It is hitting us all close to home. I also think its great that there can be a woman on the ticket whom I disagree with on several major issues. Isn't that how we know equality is there? When the race or gender actually becomes a non-issue?
I can only imagine the grief you face on a daily basis at work. The disparity between the classes is shocking, ruthless, and horrible. you are right to point out our contexts and how they influence our situations and preference/choices.
My mother-in-law said recently (and I am fairly certain she is not completely taken with the McCain/Palin ticket...to say the least, although I do not want to speak for her) that no matter how you look at it...this is a fascinating election. Either way we are going to make history.
Either way, some walls will be broken down...and that is a good thing.
ALethea,
Thanks for your convictions and your passion for an important cause.
However, I would like to once again point out that my wife, whom I love and admire, is using my blogger sign-in to post comments with which I do not agree.
I am in no way double minded about the person for whom I will vote.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment