Monday, November 02, 2009

Heartbreak


Today we said goodbye to one of our family members, our beloved Casper. Many of you know that he has become increasingly aggressive and last week he attacked Charlie. Charlie was only hurt a little, but still, we could not keep Casper with us when the children were in danger. It was a heartbreaking, gut wrenching realization that we would have to put him to sleep. Justin was the brave one who went with him to the vet today. We joined the countless other parents of the world who have lied to their children by saying, "Daddy is taking Casper to a new home on a farm where he can run and play and be happy." I don't know if it made their tearful goodbyes any easier, but it did make us feel a little better about taking him away. As much as they had started to fear him, they also both deeply loved him. In his heart, Casper always only wanted to be our little lap dog. If he could have been 1/3 his actual size, he would have been happy to cuddle with us all day long.
Goodbye Casper, we miss you already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. It is such a hard thing to do. You can't help but wonder why he changed.
Shirley

Anonymous said...

I grieve with you guys. Casper was a little dog in a big dog's body. Perhaps he never knew his own strength. You did the right thing...
mom

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! I can't imagine how heartbreaking a decision this was. :-(